A volunteer helps to prepare food for distribution
Volunteers in the food distribution centre
Volunteers prepare food for the homeless
A volunteer helps to prepare food for the homeless
795 million people around the world are suffering from malnutrition - meanwhile, roughly one third of all food produced globally is going to waste each year. This project aims to reduce food waste and hunger, through collecting unwanted food and distributing it to those who need it.
Each day, volunteers visit supermarkets, cafes, bars and restaurants to collect unwanted food, or food that is about to go past its sell by date. This food is then taken to a distribution centre for preparing into meals. Once the food preparation is done, it is distributed amongst homeless people or those living below the poverty line.
About 500 homeless people in Lisbon are being fed each day thanks to these efforts.
- Food collection from various food outlets around the city
- Unpackaging, preparing, storing and repackaging food for distribution
- Distributing food to the homeless at the centre, or delivering food to those who are unable to collect it
- Promote sustainability through this volunteer project
- Help to reduce the amount of food waste in the world, both on the project but also when you get home
- Help homeless people and those living below the poverty line to sustain themselves
- Live in the buzzing city of Lisbon - enjoy the stunning beaches, great food, amazing wine, ancient monasteries and city life
Accommodation and food
You will be living in possibly the most eco-friendly guest house in Lisbon. The accommodation is just 30 minutes from the city centre, in a quiet residential area. You will be sharing accommodation with other volunteers.
Important things to know about the accommodation are:
- Every effort is taken to avoid single use plastic - ranging from food packaging to toiletries packaging
- Any plastic that cannot be avoided is shredded and then reused
- Three yummy meals are served each day. Any food that is wasted will either be composted or be donated to the homeless
You will be working on the project Monday - Friday, either on a morning or afternoon shift. This working pattern means that you have plenty of time to improve your Portuguese, explore the local area and get to know your fellow volunteers. You will have weekends free to explore the local area including the beaches, Lisbon, Porto, Sintra and more.
This organisation specialises in arranging hand-picked ethical volunteering projects in 18 countries around the world. Projects mainly focus on animal welfare, conservation, and sustainability, with strong focus also on humanitarian and social care programmes. Their passionate and experienced team of travellers have been sending volunteers around the world since 2006.
We are able to accept bookings for all projects currently, however the situation is still evolving regarding when and where participants can travel. With this in mind, we are currently offering a fully refundable deposit and no further payment due until 21 days before departure.
In addition, we are offering free trip changes, free date changes
and also free unspecified date changes
. This gives travellers maximum flexibility, whilst also giving them something to look forward to.
If participants cannot travel, their money is financially protected by ATOL or IPP. The money paid can be used towards any
of our other trips within 18 months.
En savoir plus sur nos critères de sélection pour choisir nos organisations partenaires.