See the bears enjoying their natural habitat
A volunteer enjoys being with the bears at the sanctuary
Volunteers can really appreciate these wonderful bears on this project
Volunteer with over 90 bears in Eastern Europe's largest bear sanctuary
Historically, bears have been mistreated for generations in Romania: taken from the wild as cubs, taught to dance and perform, kept in tiny cages and tormented by tourists. Happily, this treatment is now illegal, and bears across Eastern Europe have been lucky enough to find homes in sanctuaries.
The bear sanctuary in Romania is Eastern Europe's largest bear sanctuary, and it is currently home to over 100 bears. The sanctuary is set in rolling hills at the foot of the Carpathian Mountains, and is a beautiful haven in which these bears can recover and rehabilitate.
What will I be doing?
Volunteers are an essential part of life at the sanctuary. From Monday - Friday, volunteers help for about 6 hours per day to prepare food for the bears. This job is essential - with over 100 bears, that is a lot of food that is needed!
Volunteers are also able to join the bear feeding tours, monitor the bears each day and enjoy watching the bears in their new-found freedom.
You will be living in the centre of the medieval city of Brasov along with other volunteers. Brasov is a lively and beautiful city, surrounded by towering mountain ranges. We include a trip to Dracula's Castle, but you can also go skiing, hiking, exploring local cities and culture, or just relaxing in the many bars, restaurants and cafes that Brasov has to offer.
Accommodation and food
Live in a self catered flat, sharing a room with one other volunteer. The accommodation is in a fantastic location just 5 minutes walk from the medieval city centre.
- Seeing brown bears up close every day - and helping to secure their wellbeing
- Exploring stunning Transylvania in your free time
- Working in nature during the day, but with all of the buzz of city life in the evenings and at the weekends
- Meeting volunteers from all around the world, and working together to improve bear welfare
Extra information about the organisation of this project
- You will be with other international volunteers from around the world
- There is 24/7 emergency support
- Speak to someone who has done this project - our experienced team have volunteered on all of our projects and know them intimately
- You will need travel insurance to be able to join this project - we can offer advice of what to look for in a travel insurance policy
This organisation specialises in arranging hand-picked ethical volunteering projects in 18 countries around the world. Projects mainly focus on animal welfare, conservation, and sustainability, with strong focus also on humanitarian and social care programmes. Their passionate and experienced team of travellers have been sending volunteers around the world since 2006.
We are able to accept bookings for all projects currently, however the situation is still evolving regarding when and where participants can travel. We are offering free trip changes, free date changes
and also free unspecified date changes
. This gives travellers maximum flexibility, whilst also giving them something to look forward to.
If participants cannot travel, their money is financially protected by ATOL or IPP. The money paid can be used towards any
of our other trips within 18 months.
En savoir plus sur nos critères de sélection pour choisir nos organisations partenaires.