What do volunteers do?
Volunteers serve four to six hours a day doing light construction work in a local school, caregiving center or social organization. Their tasks depend on local need, as well as the skills of the volunteers. Tasks range widely and examples include drawing and painting murals in a caregiving center; cleaning up a playground and fixing and/or painting the play-sets; doing light construction work in a classroom, which may include fixing the desks and repairing damaged walls; and beautifying a meeting room in a community center by cleaning it up, painting and/or performing light handywork.
1. This description is intended only as a broad overview of the work. There is no typical day or script to follow. Remember, volunteers are serving in the developing world where conditions can change in an instant. Being flexible, open and able think on your feet are crucial characteristics of a good international volunteer. It is each volunteer’s role to fit in with their project and not the other way around. We expect volunteers to contribute wherever the need arises, even if it means being involved in activities they were not expecting to work in. Being able to adapt, adjust and fit in is challenging, but also what makes international volunteering so special.
2. In their application, volunteers must provide their resume/CV.
3. To join, you must be part of a self-organized group of five or more planning to apply and volunteer on the project together – we do not organize groups.
4. Each volunteer must bring to Cartago US$40 in cash for every week of their placement. The money will go towards purchasing materials, for example brooms, paints and paint brushes.
5. Prior to arrival, volunteers must provide a police background check. Without it, volunteers will not be allowed in the projects.
Si vous utilisez notre formulaire de contact, nous vous offrons en plus notre guide de plus de 20 pages « Comment choisir la bonne organisation de volontariat ? » au format PDF. Il contient entre autres une check-list avec plus de 50 critères de sélection pour facilement évaluer vos options.